Covid-19 & Contact Lens Wear
- Contact Lens Wear is Safe: Despite myths and misinformation, contact lens wear remains a safe and effective form of vision correction.
- Proper handwashing is essential: Before applying and removing contact lenses, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water followed by hand drying with an unused paper towel.
- Disinfect or toss contact lenses: Dispose of daily disposable lenses each evening or regularly disinfect monthly and two-week lenses according to the manufacturer and doctor instructions.
- Disinfect spectacles and glasses: Some viruses such as Covid-19 can remain on hard surfaces for hours to days, which can be transferred to spectacles wearers’ fingers and faces.
- Discontinue lens wear only if sick: Ceasing contact lens wear when sick is advised, consistent with guidance for other types of illness.
- Spectacles or not proven to offer protection: There is no scientific evidence that wearing glasses provides protection against Covid-19 or other viral transmissions.